Posted: 2nd May 2019
Salary: £29000 - £30000 per annum
Job Purpose: To help manage the kitchen team and assist the Chef Manager in the provision of all catering requirements. This will include catering for Weddings, Functions, Conferences and creating quality dishes for students, staff and visitors on a daily basis. Join the team and share their passion for home sourced food and seasonality. This role will allow you to enjoy cooking using the finest produce from their own estate or other local providers, and assist with the creation and revision of menus based on a healthy balanced diet.
Reports to: Catering Manager / General Manager
Grade/Salary: 20,059 per annum which is scale 5 point 26 on the Support Staff Salary Scale
Hours: 39 Hours per week – Monday to Sunday with flexibility to meet business needs
Safeguarding Status: The College recommends that new staff join the DBS Update Service. This means that the DBS is ‘portable’ and can be accessed by employers (with your permission). It means that staff may only ever need to apply for one DBS check.
Upon appointment, subject to joining the Update Service, signing up to this job description confirms your agreement to the College accessing the DBS Update Service to undertake online status checks on your DBS Certificate in relation to your work at the College, at appointment and in the future.
Functional Links With: Catering and Hospitality team members, Estate and residential team and other college employees.
Main Tasks and Duties:
- Assist in the daily management and training of the catering team.
- Ensuring the hygiene of all kitchen, storage and preparation areas and to ensure that accurate temperature control, food production and delivery logs are kept.
- Ensuring the team adherence to the Assured Safe Catering protocols
- To assist with ordering and to manage storage and stock control of provision, and security of stock.
- To prepare menus and order foodstuffs in accordance with requirements, using nominated suppliers.
- To lead food production and service for the restaurant and functions.
- To assist with the creation and revision of menus based on a healthy balanced diet.
- To assist with menu costing and to ensure accurate portions control in order to provide correct yields and maintain profit margins.
- To ensure minimal wastage and best use of all produce.
- To deputise for the Chef Manager.
- Assist in the planning of Chefs’ rotas to ensure adequate levels of cover at all times.
- Any other duties which may arise as requested by the Catering Manager in line with the level of responsibility of this post.
- To assist other staff in carrying out other duties if and when necessary.
Duties Expected of All College Staff:
- To promote an active commitment to equality and diversity, PREVENT and British Values.
- To take active responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults in College.
- To undertake such personal staff development as is agreed to be necessary for the development of the role and the individual.
- To set a high standard of professionalism. This will include maintaining regular contact with colleagues, students and customers verbally, in writing and via e-mail.
- To monitor customer satisfaction and continually seek ways of improving the service for which the post is responsible.
- All staff are expected to work the College Open day which takes place in June each year.
- To regularly review, adapt, and improve systems and procedures.
- To support the College’s commitment to quality assurance including course review and self-assessment.
- To promote an active commitment to the College’s approach to sustainability.
- To undertake an annual appraisal which clearly identifies targets for continued improvement.
- To provide or support inspiring and challenging education and training for all learners and promote participation by a wider group of learners.
- To take proactive responsibility for Health & Safety at all times, reporting accidents, incidents and near misses which may affect staff, students, customers and visitors.
This range of tasks should not be construed as definitive or exhaustive due to the changing external environment within which the College operates. Other duties may be required within the general scope of the post.